India sees $80 billion in flows via subsidised swap windows, RBI governor tells FE

Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Sanjay Malhotra attends a press conference after a monetary policy review in Mumbai, India, August 5, 2026. (Photo: Reuters)

MUMBAI, Aug 20 (Reuters) – The RBI expects close to $80 billion in inflows via subsidised swap facilities ​opened in June as a way to ‌bolster foreign exchange reserves, RBI governor Sanjay Malhotra said in an interview to the Financial Express ​newspaper on Thursday.

Last week, the Reserve ​Bank of India decided to close one of ⁠the schemes, a discounted swap facility for dollar ​deposits by non-resident Indians, earlier than anticipated.

Here are ​Malhotra’s key comments:

  • Across all three schemes, we expect inflows of at least $80 billion. “This reflects the strong macroeconomic fundamentals ​of our country and would also further ​strengthen our balance of payments,” Malhotra said.
  • Advancing the last ‌day ⁠of the swap window for FCNR(B) deposits is a well-thought-out, calibrated, prudent and data-driven response to the evolving situation.
  • The decision to advance the ​closure “is from ​a position ⁠of strength”.
  • Flows have been stronger than we expected and even stronger than ​what most market participants expected.
  • RBI’s net ​forward ⁠forex position is very manageable, Malhotra said. He added the exchange rate continues to be market-determined.
  • “Our ⁠policy ​on intervention remains the same: ​to curb excessive volatility and any undue speculative activity,” he ​said.

T.K.B. Sen

Journalist, media worker, reporter and analyst